Now those who know me best know that I hate, no, wait… I despise courgettes. In my eyes they are the fruit of the devil. So it took me by great surprise one day when I was presented with courgette cake. I loved it. It came with w mascarpone filling and was incredible.
This is my take on the courgette cake. I love the cake, but the obvious problem with it is it needs to be rated. This loaf is smaller and not as ‘cakey’ – perfect for enjoying as a snack, a pudding or even a slightly healthier alternative for a lunch box!
The below recipe makes one standard loaf tin.
- Preheat oven to 180c or 160c for fan assisted ovens
- Grate courgette roughly.
- Using a sieve, squeeze out any excess moisture from the courgette
- Mix the egg, sugar & oil, and then stir in the courgettes
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, spices, fruit & salt
- Create a well in the flour mix
- Add the courgette mix to the flour mix and stir thoroughly
- Pour until the loaf tin
- Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, checking from 50 minutes.
- Test loaf with w sharp thin knife or a skewer m. When this comes out clear, your bake is ready!
- Ensure you enjoy a slice warm, with a nice cup of earl grey!
I hope you love this cake as much as i do!